Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Greatest highlight... Seriously?

I'm excited to see that ESPN has put together a "greatest highlight" bracket, to compete highlights across the sports world to determine "the greatest highlight" of all time.

I'm a huge football fan. I wrote a 2+ part blog about Terrell Owens "situation" in Philadelphia prior to his departure. I have successfully debated the NFL being a superior sport to NCAA football on multiple occasions. I love watching football, and would estimate I saw more than 100 football games this season alone, between college and pro, including the playoffs and bowl games. I love football so much, I don't even have the NFL Sunday ticket. Who needs to pay for the Sunday ticket when you don't care what teams your watching? I get at least 7 games a week during the heat of the season, which may or may not include the Redskins (usually not, as I live in Charlotte).

So, I'm excited there are so many football plays as options for the greatest highlight ever.

- The immacculate reception - Franco Harris' reception, which may or may not have touched the ground, during the 1972 AFC Divisional Playoffs against the Oakland Raiders, that was returned for a touchdown, beginning the Steelers Dynasty.
- Hail Flutie - Doug Flutie, quarterback for #10 ranked Boston College, completes a pass to wide receiver Gerard Phelen, in a last second hail mary to beat #8 ranked, reigning national champions, University of Miami (FL).
- WAC comes to play - Boise State uses the hook-and-ladder to tie against Oklahoma University in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl (BCS), but WINS on a statue of liberty play on a 2-pt conversion to WIN (not tie) in overtime.
- "The Play" - Cal-Stanford ends with an over-anxious trombone player eating his mouthpiece after an unlikely kickoff return, involving 4 players and 5 laterals, puts Cal ahead of Stanford (and then QB John Elway) in the final seconds of the game.

Truly a great set of highlights!

But is it a done deal that one of "my" highlights will win? No. Hank Aaron's record-breaking hit. Christian Laetnner hits a last second shot to win Kentucky.


In the "Final Four," three of the four highlights are football highlights:

- Hail Flutie
- Immaculate reception
- WAC comes to play.

What is this insolent fourth highlight!?!? How dare it not pay hommage to the gridiron!?!?!

It's the game-winning goal of the 1980 U.S. Men's Olympic Hockey Team against the USSR in the quarterfinals.

So, I'm a football fan. See above for a detailed brag-fest of my football-love. I recognize, however, that the 1980 Men's Hockey team defeating the Russians (Soviets) in the Olympics is one of the greatest highlights of all time.

But I further recognize that it's more than just a highlight. It was a quintessential Cinderella story, as the soviets hadn't been beaten in 12 years, even stomping the American NHL all-stars in 1979. The Americans went on to beat Finland in the finals to take the gold medal.

But further still, I recognize that the victory over the Soviets was a symbolic victory of Democracy over Communism. In a time where the Soviets were attempting to take over Afghanistan, and the concept of the domino effect still reigned as the model by which U.S. foreign policy operated, the American Hockey team was able to provide hope to a country that was economically struggling and could use a morale boost.

I love football, but I recognize that the U.S. Hockey team defeating the Soviets in the Olympics is hands down the greatest sports highlight of all time, and if any of the other highlight wins the "Greatest Highlight" award, I WILL boycott ESPN, like the U.S. boycotted the 1980 Olympics in Moscow.

At least... until football season...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

maybe I should root for one of the football highlights to win?? ;-)